Thursday, February 25, 2010

School craziness

Oh my gawd, you guys. I have turned into the crazy mom who is stressing like hell over kindergarten. Ava will turn five in August, meaning she is eligible for kindergarten. But North Carolina recently changed their cutoff so that kids have to be five by August 30, which will make my little princess one of the youngest in her class. Now, Ava is, naturally, a genius. And I'm not biased at all. (I'd also like to point out that she is the most beautiful child to ever grace our planet. Again, no bias). Seriously, though, the kid is pretty damn smart. She started reading at 4, and now, at 4 1/2, she can read just about anything you put in front of her. She prefers Dr. Seuss and Charlie and Lola, but she also loves the op-ed page of the New York Times. Not really. Okay, so we've established her genius. The flip side is that she's pretty shy at first,and I could see her easily just blending in by being her sweet, quiet self, doing her work, and keeping a low profile. (This, by the way, is the opposite of the Ava that actually resides in my house. She's a diva, with differing public and private personas.) Her preschool has an accredited half-day kindergarten, so we're 99.9% sure that's where she's going in the fall. Of course, after that, I get to stress again about whether she should repeat kindergarten or go to first grade, but that's a year away. I did, however, just submit a magnet school application, so if she gets in somewhere, I'll get to figure out if it's time to venture into the great unknown of public school. All this is enough to make me start drinking at an unacceptably early hour. But I have a sitter today, so instead I will go clean. Adios.

2 comments:

  1. My son will be 5 in July, so I understand the worry. He's not reading at all, but very outgoing -- maybe they'd make a good pair? What are your school options?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to stay at our current preschool, which offers a half-day, accredited kindergarten. If we feel like she's ready, we can go on to first grade the next year, but if she needs another year for whatever reason, we can repeat K in either public or private school. It's so stressful -- and it's only Kindergarten! argh!

    ReplyDelete