Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Despite the fact that it’s still warm enough for me to run in shorts, and my kids rarely wear jackets or coats, it seems that Christmas is just around the corner. That means, if you want any hot toys for your kids, you better do your shopping yesterday.

I’m making a  concerted effort this year to cut back on the volume of gifts, and focus instead on quality. This morning I put away the horrible plastic toy vanity that Ava got when she was 3, and I cursed the makers of cheap, brightly colored plastic toys.(Little Tykes, I’m talking to you). I really don’t want any more junk coming into my house, and quite frankly, my kids don’t need anything. I am keenly aware of this point, and yet, I know that Christmas will turn into a bit more of an extravaganza than I am planning. Especially when the grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. all start their gifting.

We really don’t buy a lot for our kids during the year. Sure, they get a few things here and there, but they aren’t TOTALLY spoiled with toys. (I know my mother would disagree here, but she should see what other kids have. Mine are downright deprived in comparison.)

So, now that you’re on the edge of your seat, here’s a sampling of what the kids are getting this year:

Ava wants an American Girl doll. In particular, Emily:

emily

Apparently, she also wants some outfits for Emily, and has requested that she and Emily get matching outfits. It’s a shame I can’t sew. American Girl likes to charge a pretty penny for those outfits. She really hasn’t asked for anything else, though, so I think it will be an American Girl Christmas.

She also wants books, and is currently in love with Junie B. Jones. I am not in love with Junie B. She uses words that are banned in my house (like the very risque “stupid”) and speaks with so many grammatical errors it makes my head spin. I am never one to discourage a good reading habit, though, so Junie B. it is. I also picked up the latest Fancy Nancy book at Costco:

fancy nancy

I’m sure I’ll come up with a few more small items for Ava. It’s hard to really know what she’s into these days. She likes games, crafts, books, but actual toys aren’t so popular. Oh, I almost forgot. I think she’s getting a new scooter. In pink, of course:

kick

On to Davis. We already picked up a train table for him at Costco. It was a good deal, and it will probably be just as popular with Ava as it will Davis. It’s this one, or at least a simlar one:

train

I am also getting him somthing called Stinky the Garbage Truck. Again, this may be more popular with Ava. It does some kind of crude things, like eat matchbox cars and expel them out his back end, but for some reason, I find him kind of endearing.

stinky

I may also get him Chuck the Truck:

 

chuck

He’ll get some books, too. And maybe some toy tools. Because he’s a boy. I’ve spent the last 5 years buying princesses, and I’m actually kind of excited to get some boy gear up in here. Don’t worry, though. I’m sure Santa will bring Ava something from Disney’s newest princess, Tangled.

I always struggle with what to buy The Husband. He hardly ever buys stuff for himself, and I just want to get him something fun, that he wouldn’t buy for himself. I’m debating a Wii (because we live in the dark ages and don’t have one), because  I think Ava is old enough for it, too, and I think the 2 of them would enjoy playing it together. Since he doesn’t read my blog, I trust you all to keep this potential purchase a secret. Shhhhhh….

1 comment:

  1. You know, I so think Ava (the fashionista that she is) needs some girls Jack Rogers or Danskos? Don't you think she "needs" them?!? Maybe she already has them (if so, I want to buy them off of you for Lillian in a few years).

    ReplyDelete