Saturday, December 18, 2010

Insomnia

It’s 3:14am, I have a cold, and should be sound asleep. This sinus headache seems to want us to be partying, so here I am, surrounded by Kleenex, blogging away.

Being sick when you have two small children and a husband to take care of is no fun at all. The other night, I thought I was coming down with the full-blown flu, but luckily, it has turned into a nasty cold. Lesser of two evils, right?

Honestly, though. When you’re a mom, and you’re sick, there are no sick days. Life must go on, and little people can’t take care of themselves. Well, if they’re five going on twenty-five, they THINK they can take care of themselves, but they can’t. Anyway, I’m just really thankful for Trader Joe’s, who made it possible for me to fake a home cooked meal in a total of 6 minutes. Teriyaki chicken, fried rice, and green beans. Thanks, TJ’s!

Moving on.

Yesterday, I had the rare privilege of time alone with just Ava. She got out of school on Wednesday, but Davis had his last day yesterday. Now that she’s in school five days a week, I just don’t get that much one-on-one time with her except when Davis is napping. I had forgotten how EASY she really is. Sure, we have lots of drama, but I can take her places, or go out to lunch with her, and we both really cherish the time together. We started our morning with a trip through the Krispy Kreme drive-thru, then proceeded to the mall for some more Christmas shopping. We only had one dramatic moment: I had promised that we could go to the Disney Store and Build-a-Bear, and we worked those stops into the middle of the rest of the shopping. She loved it, and I was impressed that she didn’t even ask for one single item. Once her stores were done, though, her feet suddenly hurt SO bad, and she felt that she could hardly walk another step. I called her out on being fine until her stores were done, and she said, “I knew you would say that!”

We made it through the drama, though, and ended up having a great time.

I’m finally starting to feel a little sleepy again, so I’ll sign off here, and leave you with our Christmas card photo:

DSC_0134

No comments:

Post a Comment