Tuesday, April 2, 2013

FOUR!

Today, my youngest child turns 4. It's a cliche to say he's growing up too fast, but he's growing up too fast. He's stubborn, bright, headstrong, but, at the end of the day, sweet as can be. Here's my little birthday letter to him:


Dear Davis,

Today, you turn four. It seems like only a few weeks ago that I brought you home from the hospital, just a little 8 pound baby boy. You were pretty chilled out as a baby - we had no idea of the wildness brewing inside of you!


These days, you are all boy. You adore Star Wars, Spider-Man, and turning anything into a gun. One minute you're a cuddly little boy, the next, you're squirming away from me, ready for the next adventure. You're at once adorable and frustrating, pushing my mommy limits like nobody's business.

You love sports, and that was evident from the get-go. In fact, you love anything that keeps you on the go. You would live outside if you could.




You're a good little brother. You and Ava fight like any siblings, but I see the way you look at her. You think she's the coolest. And when she actually comes down from her 7 year old world to play with you, you are thrilled. I can't wait to see how close the two of you are when you grow up, and I'm so happy that you have each other.



You insist on wearing what you want to wear, and I've just about given up the battle. We've gone from smocked longalls to Superheroes and athletic shorts in a really short time. I guess I have to let you be you, though. I may protest, but I secretly like that you know what you want. It will serve you well when you grow up.




You are so energetic, and I can't always keep up. You are the reason I am so exhausted at night. You talk NONSTOP. You are smart, curious and spirited. You wear me out, but I love you anyway. It's amazing that I can spend a day fussing at you for breaking every rule we have, but at the end of the day, I look at your sweet face, and feel nothing but love for you.


You made us a family of four, and we can't imagine things any other way. 


Oh, and be warned - whoever you marry is going to have to be pretty darn perfect, because I can't give you up to just anyone. 

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment