Monday, April 11, 2011

Running in God’s Country, plus a few pics

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I know mine was pretty good, if you consider running 10 miles a good time. I’m not sure that I do, but I do enjoy the  guilt-free eating that comes after burning 1000+ calories.

On Saturday, my good friend Sarah picked me up at 6:15am so we could get to Chapel Hill for the Tar Heel 10 Miler. Last year we ran together, but only did the 4 Mile run.  We said when it was over that we’d do the 10 this year, and we did.

It’s only appropriate that Sarah and I run this one together. She was my suitemate my freshman year at Carolina, and one of my roommates (well, apartment-mates) my junior and senior year. We had many, many a good time back then. Probably too good. And back then, there was no way we could go out and run 10 miles. Running one mile then would have been a feat.

So, here we are, a couple (give or take) of years later, back where at all began. I was pretty unprepared for the race, and a lot nervous. I mean, I try to get a six-mile run in once a week, and maybe 1-2 other runs, but I didn’t “train” for this race. It all turned out fine, though. After I spent about 2 hours Friday night making a new, Britney-heavy playlist (I know, I should be ashamed), Sarah and I spent the whole 10 miles talking. I didn’t even turn on my iPod. It was fun, though. Great to catch up, and talking makes the time go by so much faster.

The mean race people designed the course so that around mile 8, you start an absurd uphill climb that doesn’t stop until early in mile 9. Just cruel. And, if you know Chapel Hill, you know that it’s not like the rest of the course was flat. There were hills all over the damn place. But, there’s probably no prettier place to run around here. Chapel Hill in the springtime is about as good as it gets.

The rest of the day was spent eating as much as humanly possible.

I don’t have any pictures from the race, but I do have some random pics of the kids enjoying the spring weather:

DSC_0363

Sibling love.

DSC_0356

Ava adores her new bird dress. Consignment sale purchase….still had tags attached.

DSC_0370

Davis….looking for trouble.

A few weeks back, there was a love-in in Ava’s bed (note to self: time to get rid of the pacifier):

DSC_0295

….And later, Davis had his first milkshake:

DSC_0306

That’s all for now! Hope everyone has a great Monday!

 

Carter

1 comment:

  1. Love that dress. Your children are beautiful.

    I am going to have a hard time parting with the paci in our house. She walks around with it. She goes and finds it.

    ReplyDelete