Friday, July 8, 2011

Tennis, anyone?

It’s been a long time since I played tennis. I took a few clinics growing up, but never really got into it. Let’s be honest. I’m not all that athletically inclined. Classes at the gym? Fine. Running? A struggle, but fine. Team sports? Not so much.

Ava started tennis lessons last month, and it made me realize I should try to play again. We belong to a swim & tennis club, and until this year, I had never set foot on any of the courts. 

So, a few friends and I arranged for some lessons with one of the pros. We said beginner, and he took us very seriously. More on that in a minute.

First up, I had to get a new racket. Or is it a racquet? I’m never sure. Either way, it’s that thing you hit the ball with. I ended up with this one:

You likey, yes? It’s certainly fancier than the one I’ve had since I was 12. I was excited about my purchase.

It took every fiber of my being not to buy a super-cute new tennis outfit while I was there. I figured I need to make sure I like it before I start investing in my tennis wardrobe. But really? Tennis outfits are so stinkin’ cute. As in, you mean I get to look cute AND get a good workout in? Sign me up.

Nike Women's Flirty Set Point Dress

Of course, being in all pink in a skirt and top would be fun, too.

Nike Women's Gridiron Border Strappy Tank

Nike Women's Gridiron Power Pleated Skort

In the end, I decided to just start out with some of my existing workout gear. Seems kind of silly to walk onto the court looking like a pro when you can’t even hit the ball.

So, the first lesson was last night. And once we got started, it was SO. MUCH. FUN. But as I mentioned before, we were really treated like beginners. As in, “This is the basic stroke in tennis. It is called ‘forehand’.” Um. Thanks, Mr. Tennis Professional. I think we’re a little farther along than that. Honestly, though, it was probably for the best that we started at such a basic level. Once we got started hitting, I really enjoyed myself, and was bummed when our hour was up.

A little girl and her mother were playing on the court beside us. The little girl was like a mini Chris Evert. She was eight years old. And let me tell you, she could have whipped my ass on the court. I’ll have to make sure I never get on a court next to her again.

I can’t wait to go back next week. I could definitely see this becoming a real interest/activity for me. And besides that, all the tennis players I know have those amazing msucular-but-feminine legs.

Soon enough, I’m sure I’ll be playing like this. But maybe not as grunt-y.

A view of Maria Sharapova playing a shot during a tennis game

Oh, and before I forget, I finally added a blogroll to The Mean Mom Chronicles. I have a lot of blogs that I read, and I think you should read them, too. The list is somewhere over there  ---------->, to your right.

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I totally started playing tennis for the clothes and wound up loving it. Now it's my escape. That and the skirts. Ohhhh, the skirts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the blog roll. I appreciate.

    What cute outfits. That professional was talking to me. I know nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! So funny as I just picked up a tennis skirt and the sporting goods store and my hubby just rolled his eyes {haven't played since high school}. I didn't actually buy it! Thanks for popping in on my blog.

    ReplyDelete