Friday, August 3, 2012

Flying Squirrels and Crazy Parents. Must be the Olympics.

Like the rest of you (presumably), I am loving the 2012 Summer Olympics. And I am especially loving the US women's gymnastics team, as well as both the men's and women's swim teams. My Ryan Lochte obsession is no secret, and I'm not alone in my lust huge respect for him.

Here are a few Olympic-related things that have been on my mind:

1) Can I train my kids to be Olympic athletes? If not, can I instill in them the kind of drive found in those athletes? Because seriously? Dedicating your life to your craft is kind of an amazing thing, not found in most of us. I want my kids to watch these athletes and WANT to be like them. I want to light a spark in my children that is even a fraction of what the Olympians have. I don't think that's something you can teach, though. I think it's something you either have or you don't. I envy those that have it.

(On a side note, how do the gymnasts even figure out that they can do all those crazy moves? Insane.)

I watch Jordyn Weiber with nothing but awe. Let's put aside the fact that she didn't make it to the individual finals. She's still a champion. You can just look at her and see her drive, her determination, her desire to be the best. She seems so focused, so in the moment.

image via
PHOTO: Jordyn Wieber of the United States of America performs on the floor exercise in the Artistic Gymnastics Women's Team final on Day 4 of the London 2012 Olympic Games at North Greenwich Arena on July 31, 2012 in London, England.

Of course, seeing her disappointment the other night was nothing short of heartbreaking. When she was in  the audience of the individual final, though, she was all smiles, happy for her teammates, cheering them on.

2. Gabby Douglas is nothing short of adorable. I personally think she looks like she could be Michelle Obama's child. And she's got some massive talent:



3. The other night, Morgan pointed out that McKayla Maroney always looks like she's up to no good. Of course, that's all I can think about whenever I see her now, and I find that infredibly endearing. Take a look and tell me you don't agree:


McKayla Maroney Photograph 

Adorable. Love her. 

4. Ally Raisman's parents are nuts. Stage parents extrordinaire. Then again, I can't imagine the anxiety involved in watching your child try to achieve an Olympic medal. But still. If you somehow missed this, please watch below:



And, just to change gears to wrap things up, here's something I came across on Facebook the other day. Truer words never spoken:


Go USA.

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny you mentioned Michelle Obama because I've thought the same thing...

    And the parents. They crack me up.

    ReplyDelete