Saturday, May 28, 2011

Graduation

On Thursday, Ava graduated from preschool. She started in the Mother’s Morning Out program just after she turned 1, so we’ve enjoyed five wonderful years in this sweet school. I knew the day would be a little emotional for me, and I was right. Dropping her off that morning got the tears started. Luckily, that was probably the most emotional I got.

For the actual ceremony, the Kindergarten classes sang songs for us, and then they were called by their full names to receive their “diplomas.” Now, I’ll say that as sweet as that was, I do find the new trend of having a graduation ceremony for every single milestone a little unnerving. These days, it seems that kids graduate from preschool, elementary school, middle school, etc. By the time they get to high school, it isn’t even a  big deal anymore!

I digress. I had a few emotional moments during the songs, but I held it together. I had to keep my goodbyes to Ava’s teachers to a minimum, because I knew if I started trying to thank them for all they’ve done for us this year, it would be waterworks. (Earlier in the day, I ran into Ava’s 4-year-old teacher and nearly burst into tears).

Here’s my sweet girl with her fabulous teachers:

DSC_0493

And her she is getting her “diploma”, although I really couldn’t get a good shot.

DSC_0479

After the ceremony, there was lemonade and cookies in the courtyard. Davis joined us then.

DSC_0506

And we tried to get a good family photo, but that is easier said than done. Here, we’re all looking at my mom’s camera, while my dad was taking the picture with my camera.

DSC_0515

Shortly after this was taken, Ava had an enormous outpouring of emotion and cried for about 30 minutes. My girl really loves school.

I had one more small crying session that night. I was recapping the day with the husband, and commented that it’s really going to kill me when we drop her off at her dorm room at UNC in 13 years. That got me talking about how the end of her preschool years is really like closing a chapter in her life. The time has flown by, and I know it will only go faster from here.

For now, I can rest happy knowing that she is well-equipped to go into the real world of big school.

No comments:

Post a Comment