Monday, April 9, 2012

Detox Week

We're back from the beach, and Spring Break 2012 has officially come to an end. In fact, I'd say it was really over when Ava threw a tantrum like a toddler last night and got sent to bed for it. Today, though, she was up and at 'em, and happy to get back to a routine. We even started the day for her with an 8am dentist appointment. Always fun.

I was so indulgent last week, or so it felt. I ate whatever, drank too much wine, and exercised too little. I also used too little sunscreen, and I hate to say it, but I just prefer me with some color. Real color, not tan-in-a-can color. I know, I know. It's terrible. I'll be good the rest of the spring and summer. I just needed a little base. It's my vice. My kids, on the other hand, are like little Edward Cullens (minus the sparkling-in-the-sunlight-thing), and are in constant need of SPF 300. I'm not sure they produce melanin at all. However, they do look cute on the beach. Not that I'm biased:


 
I did manage to sneak in a few runs on the beach, which was really nice. The weather was insanely perfect. And, the beach is flat enough that five miles feels pretty easy. 

But, aside from a few runs, I did nothing good for my body. So, this week is detox. I hate detox. I'm trying to avoid dessert, and worse, alcohol. It's not that I'm a raging alcoholic, but I do like my wind-down glass of wine around 5:30 every day. It's kind of a ritual. And, let's be real. It's more like 2 glasses. Which, really, is not exactly a crime. But, sometimes I think it's good to give your body a break from the things it craves. We'll see if I last the whole week. This gorgeous spring weather makes it tough, but I think I can make it. 

I'm off to make a healthy dinner of black beans and rice. Can't wait to hear the not-so-subtle cries of disappointment from the kids on that entree. 

1 comment: