Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Ina Garten's Lentil and Sausage Soup

Last week I promised a good recipe, and I failed to deliver. Blame the stomach bug. I just couldn't think about food. That's how you KNOW I'm sick.

I think Ina Garten is my favorite celeb chef, with Sara Foster coming in a close second. I have all of Ina's cookbooks except for one - Barefoot In Paris - and I think I'm missing out by not having that one.



Last weekend, my two besties and I had lunch at my parents' house, and my mom served up the most delish soup. Not surprisingly, it was Ina's, and it was in the Barefoot in Paris cookbook. Luckily for me, the same recipe was available online, and I made the same soup last Monday night.

Now, I'll warn you. My mom told me this is a really easy recipe, and she's right, it is. But there is a considerable amount of chopping.

Also, it makes a TON. Like, I have two quarts of it in my freezer, and it made a couple of meals last week. Also, my kids hated it, but I no longer make them a separate dinner, so they ate a few bites each, and filled themselves up on the sourdough bread and fruit I served with the soup.



Here ya go:


Ingredients

  • 1 pound French green lentils (recommended: du Puy)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for serving
  • 4 cups diced yellow onions (3 large)
  • 4 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts only (2 leeks)
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic (2 large cloves)
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3 cups medium diced celery (8 stalks)
  • 3 cups medium diced carrots (4 to 6 carrots)
  • 3 quartsChicken Stock, or canned broth (I used organic chicken stock)
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1 pound kielbasa, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and sliced 1/3-inch thick
  • 2 tablespoons dry red wine or red wine vinegar (I used wine)
  • Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving

Directions

In a large bowl, cover the lentils with boiling water and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drain.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat the olive oil and saute the onions, leeks, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, and cumin for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent and tender. Add the celery and carrots and saute for another 10 minutes. Add the chicken stocktomato paste, and drained lentils, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, or until the lentils are cooked through and tender. Check the seasonings. Add the kielbasa and red wine and simmer until thekielbasa is hot. Serve drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with grated Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment