Tuesday, June 28, 2011

And then there was one

My parents came around noon yesterday to pick up my oldest child and take her to the beach with them for a few days. It’s been pretty quiet around here without her. Davis took a nap, and I folded laundry, then ironed, all while catching up on the Real Housewives of New Jersey. When Ava is home, I can get things done around the house, but I can’t really watch my Housewives because she’d want to watch with me. Probably not the best tv for kids. Orange County, on the other hand….

Davis woke up from his nap and very quickly, it occurred to me how much I rely on Ava to entertain him. Of course, he immediately wanted to know where she was. They do love each other. And, when we got in the car, and she wasn’t sitting with him, the first words he uttered were, “I want Ava.” Well, it was more like, “I want Ayba.” But I knew what he meant.

So, we went to Target, where we acquired a Mater truck for Davis, a refill of Ambien for me (rarely taken anymore due to frequent 5:30am workout/running alarm and recent ability to fall asleep by 10pm), and some heavy cream for the new Cuisinart ice cream maker we gave Morgan for Father’s Day.

Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker with Extra Freezer Bowl, White 

It’s great to purchase heavy cream on the same day you decide not to wear jeans because all of your lower body parts feel too big. It helps, really.

Anyway, I used the cream to make strawberry ice cream. Oh. My. Gosh. So  good. I probably should not own this machine, because I’m already dreaming up new concoctions involving lots of mix-ins.

On an unrelated note, I think I forgot to mention that a few weeks ago we got a swing set for our back yard. It’s been a huge hit with the kiddos. Davis was all smiles on it last night:

Davis old school

His happiness may have been the result of not having to share with his sister. Or the fact that it was only about 72 degrees. Or maybe because it was 7pm, and he was still outside playing because Mommy was enjoying her glass of wine while watching him play.

Since I’m sharing Davis photos, I should share this one of Ava as well. My friend Jill French braided her hair last week. Jill has some crazy hair skills. I am seriously impressed. Here’s the evidence:

Ava braids

The funniest thing happened when we took the braids out. Ava’s normally silky-straight hair was wavy from the braids. She took one look in the mirror and literally burst into tears. Uncontrollable tears. Sobs, even. Then I got in big trouble because I laughed. It was terrible, but I couldn’t help myself.

I’m pretty sure this is the only time we’ll see the braids. Wavy hair is just too traumatic for my little drama queen.

I’m off to figure out how to entertain my two-year old boy.

Carter

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with that entertaining. Nice parents! But, i can't complain. My mom has been busy keeping Jack busy.

    ReplyDelete