Friday, July 27, 2012

Feeling Stupid. Maybe the Olympics will help.

Last week, on Wednesday, I posted the following photo on Facebook:


I innocently went on about my business the rest of the week. The kids had camps, I had a girls trip to get ready for. I didn't read the paper, didn't turn on CNN, didn't listen to NPR. On Monday, while we were driving to the beach, Morgan says, "I can't believe you posted that picture of the kids at Chick Fil A." I was stumped, wondering when it became some secret that I feed my kids fast food frequently  every once in a while.

Morgan immediately filled me in, letting me know that Chick Fil A publicly opposes gay marriage. Ughhhh. I have been so vocal in my support of gay rights, and gay marriage in particular. I was so embarrassed that I posted a picture that made it appear as though I'm on board with CFA's stance. I am not. And of course, I posted the photo on the very day that all of this came to light.

While I could go on for days about how it's absurd that anyone wouldn't support gay marriage, I'll keep it brief. What in the world does gay marriage, or even straight marriage, have to do with selling chicken sandwiches? Why can't they just keep their political & social opinions to themselves and go on about their profitable chicken business? And don't even get me started on the "Christian" side of the debate. This quote from Dan Cathy, CFA President, really fires me up:

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,' and I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is about."


Odd. I seem to recall a bit more tolerance and love being taught in Sunday School. I'm guessing he believes that anyone gay can be "reformed."


This is just all really disappointing to me. I do love Chick Fil A. I crave it, really. But honestly, I'll take my number one combo without the side of evangelism. 


Now, on a lighter note, who out there is excited about the Olympics? I think one thing we all can agree on - gay or straight - is that this guy is going to make the swimming competition worth watching:


Let's have one more picture of Ryan Lochte, just for fun:
Olympian Ryan Lochte

Oh yes. I WILL be tuning in. 

Hope you all have a good weekend.



1 comment:

  1. I'm with you, Carter!!! Ryan L is a hottie! And why would leadership at Chic-Fil-A publicly express a personal opinion and not think it would raise hell, impact their PR image, and affect sales of their product? Ridiculous. Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete