Monday, July 9, 2012

Weekend + The Week I've Been Needing

We had a great weekend, and I can't decide if it flew by or went slowly. Either way, it was a good one.

In true summer fashion, we had no plans on Friday. My aunt, who I had not seen since Thanksgiving, was visiting with her boyfriend at my parents' house. So, the kids and I hopped in the car and drove there, planning to spend a few hours. But, it's hard to spend just a few hours with people you love and don't see enough of. Besides, there was wine with lunch. Just one glass, since I knew I'd be driving home later in the day. Somehow, later in the day turned into 5pm, and Davis had fallen asleep all snuggled up in a chair. He woke around 6, and  at that point, I had already talked myself into spending the night, despite the fact that we had no pajamas, no toothbrushes, and none of the kids' precious lovies. Plus, there was the promise of more wine, which made the decision a no-brainer.

I somehow neglected to take any pictures there, but in the theme of family, here's one of all the women in my family on Ava's first birthday:

My mom, my aunt, me, my other aunt, and my sister


Suffice it to say that we had a great visit, and didn't even get back to Raleigh until 3pm the next day. Ava had a little American Girl get together with some of her buddies, so she headed to that and Morgan and I ate pizza and watched Jeopardy until he had to go get her. (I know - you are SO jealous of my life right now).

Sunday was just what Sunday should be. I had planned on working out, but decided against it. We all ventured to the Farmer's Market in the morning, where we got all of our summer faves: peaches, blueberries,  blackberries, tomatoes, corn, okra, cantaloupe. I mean, doesn't summer just remind you that nature really does give us the very best food? I just love it. The kids love all the samples of fruit at the market:
(I don't know why Ava appears to be trying to crush Davis' head)

 After making some BLTs for lunch, I met up with a couple of friends for THE movie of the summer:


I thought it would be Matthew McConaghey who would be the best eye candy, but no. That badge goes to the unbelievably hot Channing Tatum. 


The movie was a little deeper than I expected, and worth my $7.50. 

Upon arriving home, I decided it was time to mix up some summer yumminess in the form of peach cobbler and vanilla ice cream. I used Paula Deen's peach cobbler recipe and it's a keeper. One stick of butter, my friends. Delish. And, for the ice cream, we went a little lighter. I tried making frozen Greek yogurt. The kids and I liked it, but one taste and it was clear that Morgan did not. It was really easy, though.....just nonfat Greek yogurt, sugar, and vanilla. Put in the ice cream maker, and voila. 


And, the cobbler:


While I was cooking, Davis wanted to go outside. Since it was 105 outside, I thought the only option there was to fill up the water table. We looked outside and found him like this:


Finally, today marks the start of the week I've been waiting for all summer. BOTH kids are in camps. BOTH. As in, at the same time. Meaning, I have freedom this week. Freedom! 



3 comments: