Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dinner in a hurry.

Despite everyone's hectic schedules, I'm really trying to get some halfway decent dinners on the table most nights. Some nights, it's just not possible. Tuesday, for instance, will always be Chickfila night around here. Ava has dance until 6:15, and then I go straight to tennis once she gets home. But I'm trying to come up with some quick, healthy meals that we can all eat. I've also been trying to seriously cut back on grocery bills. I sort of hate couponing, though, so it's better for me to just simplify meals. 

On Monday night, Ava made a random request for tomato soup. That worked out well, because I had decided to make a frittata, and I didn't have enough eggs to feed the whole family. So, Ava and Davis got tomato soup, whole wheat crackers, cucumber slices, and oranges. Good enough. Morgan was working late, and I was hungry, so here's what I made for us: (excuse the iPhone pic)


Spinach, sun-dried tomato, and feta frittata, served with acorn squash. It was all stuff I had on hand, and so yummy and easy. For the squash, I just sliced it in half, topped with some melted butter, brown sugar, salt, and pepper, and roasted it at 400 for just under an hour. 

If you've never made a frittata, they are so easy. I used 4 eggs, which were beaten. I chopped up my spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, then kind of mixed it all into a bowl. I dumped that into a pan (sprayed with cooking spray), and crumbled some feta cheese over the top. You cook over medium heat until it's kind of soft-set, then it goes under the broiler for about 3-4 minutes. Voila. Dinner. And even though my kids had a different dinner that night, this is definitely something they will eat without complaint. And, if you're looking for other varieties, asparagus and goat cheese is one of my very favorites!

I'd love to hear your quick and tasty weekday dinners in the comments section.

3 comments:

  1. I know, it is hard w/ o some seriou planning ahead. I try to cook all week except soccer night. One quick thing I am doing tonigh is chiicken Parma burgers. I buy pre cooked chicken burgers from trader joes in fridge section. You can pop in microwave or grill for a short time. I buy their whole wheat buns(2 points) and top with a little tomato sause and a slice of low fat mozzarella cheese. They are pretty good and take five mins to cook! I did baked zucchini fries last time I cooked them to go with, but those are not quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas. I'm struggling with it, too.

    I made a good soup tonight from the HT flyer.

    So easy. Italian Pasta Fagioli. Very quick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to self...make comment box bigger when typing on my iPad. Oh the terrible spelling mistakes! Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete