Thursday, September 22, 2011

Tennis date

image credit

Last week I mentioned to you that I had a tennis date with the husband. As you may recall, I started taking tennis lessons back in July (read all about that here). Along with three friends, I've been going to my lesson weekly and I really thought I was getting decent. If you know me, you won't be surprised to hear that I really have no athletic ability whatsoever. For instance, I played soccer for years growing up, but never scored a goal. I have attempted to learn golf, but I rarely make contact with the ball. You get the idea.

You can imagine my surprised delight when I started playing tennis and discovered I could actually hit the ball. After two months of lessons, I was starting to feel pretty confident in my game, so I told the husband I wanted to play with him. Leading up to this game, I was a little cocky. I just kept thinking, "He hasn't played in at least 10 years. I'm gonna totally SCHOOL him on the court. I have fancy tennis clothes and totally look the part, so I will win!"

I guess I overlooked the fact that he is one of the more athletic people I know. He can drive a golf ball, like, 1000 yards. He can run fast when he wants to. And he's just generally agile. I, on the other hand, struggle to stay balanced when walking across a room. It's quite shocking that I can walk at all in heels. Thank God for wedges.

On the court, we started hitting a little, just to warm up. It was clear then that I might be in for a little more of a challenge than I had anticipated. Plus, in our clinics, we'd been playing in more of a doubles format, and really had never played an actual game. After our warm-up. we started our match. And there was no schooling on my part. Morgan pretty much rocked it and beat me quickly in 2 straight sets. You know how many games I won? ONE. One measly little game. Talk about taking me down a notch. He kept putting a fancy backspin on the ball, and I may as well have been playing against Roger Federer. Or at least Andy Roddick. Bottom line, he is good. I actually think he should practice some more and join a team, but he says he's sticking to golf.

Ava wants to get back into lessons once she's finished with soccer next month. Hopefully she won't be able to beat me just yet.

5 comments:

  1. At least you won ONE. I lost 6-0, 6-0 in my tennis date a few weeks ago. Humiliating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's great you played. And think how good you looked in your outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great sense of humor! I have no athletic ability either until it comes to volleyball. Tennis is something I decided I didn't like when they made us play in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The husband reminded me that he gave me three serves rather than 2 and I still lost by that much.

    ReplyDelete